Image Map

Monday, July 8, 2013

Strawberry-Rhubarb Soup

Delightfully sweet and refreshing, this chilled Strawberry-Rhubarb Soup is the perfect starting point for a delicious lunch with the ladies! Sure to be a new summer favorite!


In my mind, I'm someone who hosts weekly brunches, lunches, and dinner parties....not for my kids and their friends, but for my friends and me!! And at these weekly gatherings, we enjoy hours of relaxation and adult conversation, free from whining and negotiation, free from worries about naptime and timeouts. I serve only the most delicious foods - fresh fruits and vegetables, crusty loaves of bread, different types of cheese, soups and salads....and every part of the experience is stress-free and wonderful. (Just as I had imagined it!)



In reality, of course, kid-free brunches, lunches and dinner parties are basically nonexistent. Unless we're going to get a babysitter to.....stay in and host (!?)....at this point in our lives, they're just not going to happen! But, for some reason, I still like to pretend that they are a possibility. Or, better yet, I like to pretend that a lunch with all the kiddos can actually come close to the vision in my mind....! Ha! Kinda like going out to eat with three kids....you keep trying because you keep thinking it will be fun....


Either way (kids or no kids), I love having friends over for meals, and I love coming up with fun new recipes to try! I've been dreaming up a Strawberry-Rhubarb soup for a while now....and I am in love with how this one turned out! The strawberry-rhubarb flavors are sweetened with sugar, seasoned with cinnamon, and mellowed with plain yogurt for a cold soup that pairs beautifully with a fresh baguette, your favorite summer cheese, and whatever else you might have on your lunch....or brunch....or dinner (party) menu!


Strawberry-Rhubarb Soup
1 c. water
1 c. fresh rhubarb, chopped
1 c. fresh strawberries, chopped
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. plain yogurt

1. Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and cinnamon. Boil 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Let stand until cool.
4. Combine strawberry-rhubarb mixture and yogurt in a blender and process until smooth. Chill until ready to serve.
5. Garnish with fresh whipped cream, sour cream, and/or fresh strawberries.
(*Recipe adapted from An Occasion To Gather: Summer Blueberry Soup)


Enjoy!


While you're here, be sure to check out my other favorite lunch recipes!









Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling...
I hope you feel right at home!
-Cathy

12 comments :

  1. In my dreams, I'm eating brunch at your house every day too, hahaha!! This looks delicious Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also at your house with Lisa, Cathy! This soup looks amazing - cold soup is so refreshing on a hot Summer day and my girls would LOVE it! Pinning, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea...like a gazpacho! Perfect for summer time :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do you live, cuz I'm moving into your neighborhood! Seriously yummy Cathy! I need to eat like this more often. It would be make me feel like an adult instead of the boxed macaroni and cheese I actually eat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever had cold soup. This sounds amazingly good though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought some rhubarb at the farmer's market this morning. I've never tried it before, can't wait to see what it tastes like. I might use some for this soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother-in-law has been asking me to come and get some of her rhubarb, and now I know the first thing I'm making with it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your little daydream! I actually thought, Wow, how does she do this! Great soup recipe and the bread looks pretty good too!

    Thanks for linking this recipe to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party! So glad you are here.

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so refreshing. I've never had rhubarb

    ReplyDelete
  10. That not only look delicious, but intriguing too! Pinning it to the Monday Funday pin board! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you linked this up to my Tasty Thursdays party this week. It will actually be included in my Fantastic Fruit Series -Week #3 - Sweet Strawberries post tomorrow. Enjoy!! Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think we are all coming to your house for a party! Thanks so much for sharing at Best of the Weekend. Have a wonderful week, and we hope to see again this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...