Image Map

Monday, March 4, 2013

Re-Framed Mantel


Long before I started blogging, when home ownership was a novelty and home decor was sparse, I was known among my friends as the one with the put-together house. Of course, it didn't take much back then - we were all just out of college and easily impressed! A fresh coat of paint and anything other than posters on the walls was reason for celebration....and by those standards, I was a top notch decorator.



Of course, when I look back at pictures of my early decor, part of me can't help but cringe at the hodge podge of hand-me-downs and college purchases.... a Papasan chair here, a dorm room lamp there.....But at the same time, those pictures make me realize that who we are doesn't really change (not much, anyway!)


In the past 10 years I've gone through 2 moves, 2 jobs, 2 pugs, 3 pregnancies, a washer, a dryer, a book club, a surgery, 3 pairs of brown boots, 8 years of marriage, and enough cell phone minutes to fill an entire year of my life.  And yet....when it comes to house stuff, I am still doing what I have always done. I am using what I have and making the most of it.



Sometimes I just walk around my house and look for things to move from one place to another. Sometimes I open my closets and cupboards to find things I haven't seen in a while, things that could be brought out into the light and repurposed. And always, for the holidays, I gather.


I gather pitchers and vases, jars and frames, candles and ribbon.....and I put them all together into something like this. My revisioned, re-framed St. Patrick's Day mantel. Know what I love about it? Other than the perfect green "re-frame"? The fact that nearly all of it - except the Irish Blessings plate and mug - are part of my everyday decor. Meaning I could really keep it up all year, if I wanted to.


Of course, with Easter just around the corner, the reality is this mantel gets just 2 more weeks to shine. But that's okay....I'm sure it will all come together again sometime. And if not, I'll look forward to seeing where it ends up next.





Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling!
I hope you feel right at home :)
-Cathy










6 comments :

  1. The collection of decorations on your mantel is very interesting and unique - as always. I especially like the use of the frame against the mirror. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love random collections and pulling out old items for new things. Definitely the way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute, Cathy - Send help my way! I still have a half-finished valentine mantle up! Ugh. Makes sense that I never read the books for our sweet little book-club-no-more! Boo:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, Cathy - Send help my way! I still have a half-finished valentine mantle up! Ugh. Makes sense that I never read the books for our sweet little book-club-no-more! Boo:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny how our homes evolve over the years? I compare my first house {townhouse} and the one we have now and everything is so night and day! I love a more collected look of new and old things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way that you use what you already have and reuse it, but in a way that makes it look different and new!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...