Image Map

Saturday, April 6, 2013

May Day Wreath

 

Remember making May Day baskets in elementary school? For some reason, it's one of the things that always stands out to me when I think back. The idea was to give someone flowers as a celebration of spring, so we cut out paper flowers and put them in baskets... and our teacher instructed us to hang them on someone's front door as a little May Day surprise. I loved the idea of surprising someone with flowers - a sweet little way to brighten someone's day....and as May approaches, I find myself thinking May Day might be a fun holiday to bring back. Instead of "boo-ing" our neighbors, we can "flower" them!



We have wonderful neighbors - people we enjoy spending time with and know we can count on for anything. And our kids love them, too! I know the girls would love the idea of surprising them with May Day baskets....especially if they could help make them!

But before we start working on baskets for our wonderul neighbors, I thought I'd get working on a little basket for our own front door....to inspire us, if you will. So I headed to Target to get inspired, myself .....and came home with this white metal paper tray - the perfect starting point for our May Day wreath!


From there I headed to Michael's for some spring tulips (the ones with the bendy wire stems) and some fabric ribbon to use as a hanger. I used wire cutters to cut individual tulip stems from the bunch, then stuck the individual stems through holes in the basket and twisted each one to secure it.


The holes made it easy to attach both the flowers and the ribbon....and I love the modern look they lend to the wreath. The total cost for supplies was around $10, and the time I spent putting it together was under 30 minutes. Even though it's simple, and a little bit quirky, there's something about the white and yellow, about the hanging tulips, about the wreath as a whole that I adore. I think it's charming enough for our front door....


....and it may just be charming enough for our neighbors' front doors, too!

May Day is May 1....will you be flowering your neighbors??


Looking for another spring wreath idea? Check out my Spring Basket Wreath!




Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling!
I hope you feel right at home :)
-Cathy

21 comments :

  1. Cathy, what a neat modern version of a spring wreath! I love the hanging tulips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unique and springy. I love yellow tulips. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. I think the yellow against white is so fresh, just like spring!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both your spring and may day wreaths!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey your wreath looks pretty easy and quick. Just might have to make one of those to surprise a neighbor. Glad you shared this project. Happy Week

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cathy, saw this pretty wreath at Make the Scene Monday. I love how fresh and different it is! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week. ~Cindy@littlemisscelebration.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cute! We always used to make May baskets and go around town and hang them on doors of people we knew... ahh fun memory :o) I hope you will stop by and link this up to my Tasteful Tuesdays party (opens Monday night)
    Emily @www.nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So clever and "Springy"! Thanks so much for sharing at Time to Sparkle Tuesday : )

    xoxo Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty, Cathy! You've done it again. :) I love that you used yellow tulips... my favorite color! :)

    Just wanted to pop on by and let you know that we've nominated you for a Liebster Award. Your blog is amazing and you deserve it! Stop on by for the details. :)
    http://www.huckleberrylove.com/2013/04/leibster-award-nomination.html

    ~Emily
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well now, that's cute and different! May's just around the corner, I need to get busy!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  11. now that is interesting! love the yellow tulips, perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How pretty! I love the paper tray from Target! =) Thanks for linking up at the Pinterest Power Party - I've pinned this to my wreath board!

    Danielle
    SewMuchCrafting.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this wreath! Thanks for linking up this post to The Weekend re-Treat! on The Best Blog Recipes. I wanted to stop by and "Pin" your post while I was here tonight :)

    Shauna @ The Best Blog Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  14. creative!!! and tulips are my favorite :)
    angie

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute, creative and clever!! I love it. Thanks so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week.
    hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing this at Much Ado About Monday this week! It is such a pretty and unconventional take on a traditional wreath! :)

    We hope to see you again next week!

    ~Emily
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. WIld!! Love it. Have a great week. linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so pretty and different. I love that it's not the typical circular wreath. I'm featuring you at this weeks Thursday's Treasures, can't wait to see what you share next.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty! I might have to use that idea to dry my pretty roses that are blooming, not to mention a door wreath! Thanks for sharing with me @ DearCreatives.com Theresa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...