Image Map

Friday, May 17, 2013

BBQ Chicken Mini Pizzas

Mini BBQ Chicken Pizzas - made in muffin tins - a new twist on pizza, and sure to be a hit!


So what's a mom to do when her kids decide they are sick of pizza....!? Yes, really. Pizza. My favorite go-to dinner, movie night menu, sleepover food, take-out option.... My kids have recently gone from being excited about it to DONE with it. I guess maybe this would fit into the "too much of a good thing..." category.



I am REALLY not ready for this to happen. I LOVE pizza! I love the fact that it can be a complete, all-in-one meal, I love the fact that there are so many different ways to go with it, and I especially love the fact that I almost always have the ingredients on hand to make it!


So when Jorden called from work yesterday and asked, "What's for dinner?" and I looked in the cupboard and saw a pizza crust mix, I knew right away I'd be using it. (Sorry, kids!) And when I looked in the fridge and saw half of a rotisserie chicken and a package of bacon, I knew I'd DEFINITELY be using it....despite the complaints and disappointment that were sure to come my way.


BUT. In an attempt to mix things up and make pizza "new" again, I made a last-minute decision to use the muffin tins. I figured anything mini is more fun. I figured, that way, every kid gets one mini pizza and eats it....rather than arguing over whose piece is bigger or "how many more bites." I had never made pizza in muffin tins before, but I found it was quite easy (as you might imagine!)


I simply mixed up the dough, divided it into 12 pieces, stretched it out inside the muffin tins, filled each cup with the fixings, and topped them with cheese. Because of the smaller size, 10 minutes was all it took for them to be hot and melted to perfection. And....it turns out.....the muffin tins were my best idea yet! Not only were there no complaints, the kids were excited to eat them!! The power of mini - who would've known!?


I guess this means I don't have to give up on pizza, or let it die the slow death I was imagining. Maybe, instead, I just need to get better about re-imagining the foods we (I) love. Either that....or just start making everything mini....!


BBQ Chicken Mini Pizzas
1 roll Pillsbury pizza crust
cornmeal
2 c. cooked, shredded chicken (I used rotisserie)
6 slices bacon, chopped
2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. thinly sliced red onion
1/4 + 1/8 c. barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Honey flavor)
1/8 c. ketchup

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Divide into 12 equal portions.
2. Grease 12 regular muffin tins. Sprinkle a small amount of cornmeal in the bottom of each tin, then spread a portion of dough on the bottom and up the sides of each.

3. In a small frying pan over medium heat, cook bacon and onion until bacon is browned.
4. Combine cooked chicken, bacon, onion, barbecue sauce, and ketchup in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
5. Divide chicken mixture evenly among muffin tins. Top with mozzarella cheese, divided.
6. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes. 
 

Enjoy!

Looking for another great pizza recipe? Check out my Chicken Spinach Artichoke Pizza!




Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling....
I hope you feel right at home!
-Cathy

32 comments :

  1. These sound and look deeelish. Good idea to change things up. Doesn't it seem like you got away with something? ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny....I DO feel like I got away with something....and I love it!! :)

      Delete
  2. these look stinkin amazing... i might have to try this out! yuum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were tasty....and oh so easy!!

      Delete
  3. Yummy! These look so good ! We had muffin pizzas for dinner but the normal variety. I think my family would love some zesty BBQ chicken in a pizza! I'll try this next week. As always, great pics Cathy. You are THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never ever ever get tired of pizza. I just had my first BBQ pizza a few weeks ago and OMG. I'm SO doing these mini ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing! And what a great idea for little hands! I would love for you to share this at what i am eating http://www.townsend-house.com/2013/05/what-i-am-eating_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so delicious! Pinned and making a batch soon :-)

    Linda
    With A Blast

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy do these look good, and I love how you made them into individual servings! I'd love it if you would share this at my Saturday Spotlight link party.

    http://angelshomestead.com/saturday-spotlight-17/

    Hope to see you there!

    April
    Angels Homestead

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are adorable! I will have to try them this way sometime, so cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How adorable are these. thanks for linking them up to sweet & savoury sunday this week :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think these are the cutest things ever! I found you over at Watch Out, Martha. Love your site, and I'll be back!
    Laura @ The Salty Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh I love anything with a new twist on pizza. I assure you I love pizza in any form... now I'm thinking of a chicken, bacon ranch pizza or maybe taco in those cute little cups...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kids that don't like pizza? Who are they?! Haha, I can't even imagine that...

    These look so stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look amazing! Thanks for sharing.
    ~Kaitlin @ Life's Little Mischiefs

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look SO YUMMY, Cathy! Thanks for the recipe, pinned! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow... My mind.. It's everywhere! This looks and sounds so insanely good it makes me wish I was one of your kids.

    Speaking of which, if my kid ever said he was tired of pizza, I would question whose kid he really is. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, I'm drooling reading this blog. I've pinned this recipe and can't wait to try it! I'd love for you to share this on my blog link party, Sweet Tooth Tuesdays. It's not just for sweet recipes! :) These sound amazing!!
    http://sarahlynnssweets.blogspot.com/2013/05/sweet-tooth-tuesdays-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look great!!! What a simple little meal too! Great job!

    Sam
    http://cooksandcreates.blogspot.com/

    (found you on The 36th Ave)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My children would just love these!!! What a great idea! Pinning:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Because they contain so many yummy foods, they would have to be wonderful! I love the addition of bacon. I will have grandchildren here this summer--I will make these for sure. Thanks, pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My boys would love these! Thanks for sharing!!

    ~Jen @ Yummy Healthy Easy

    ReplyDelete
  21. My mouth is actually watering as I am looking over your pictures. These look just divine! I love bbq chicken pizza and my kids are also "mini-addicts" so I will be making this almost immediately. Thanks so much for sharing at Much Ado About Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My kids would love these mini pizzas :) So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing at last week's All my Bloggy Friends - Linda and I look forward to seeing what you share this week! :)

      Delete
  23. These look great! In case you didn't see it earlier, I featured this on my blog today! I'm stopping by to pin it, and to let you know you can grab a Featured button if you don't already have one! http://practicallyfunctional.net/2013/05/9-creative-ideas-2/

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look yummy AND easy! Thank you for linking up at The Weekly Creative! I've pinned these...

    Smiles,
    Melanie {reasons to skip the housework}

    ReplyDelete
  25. So simple and delicious!! My kind of recipe. :) -Kelly @ Mostly Homemade Mom

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look great. I am going to have to try them. They are not on the wife's diet but they are the perfect size for lunches through the week. For Me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really need to try this! Friday night is pizza night at our house but I've been getting kind of sick of the same ol' thing. I will try these next Friday and I'll also check out your other pizza recipe. Thanks so much for these! I'm a new follower :) Angela @ sunnysweetlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look amazing thank you for posting it. I'm making these for my daughter's 3rd b-day party coming up. I'm wondering, can I put these together in advance, freeze them, and bake them later? Would these taste the same? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...