Image Map

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Pizza Kebabs

All the components of pizza...on a stick! These Deconstructed Pizza Kebabs will be your kids' favorite new meal (and they can even help you make it)!


The State Fair knew long ago what I am just figuring out now: EVERYTHING tastes better on a stick! At last count, the Wisconsin State Fair offered 83 different foods on a stick - everything from apple pie to deep fried stuffing to an 18-inch corn dog.....and so many options in between. Who knew what a huge difference a tiny stick could make?




I am learning this little by little, and the more I learn, the more I am slowly trying to incorporate more meals on sticks into our rotation. If putting it on a stick is the key to getting my kids to eat it, I'm in!! Which is why, when we were planning a movie night with our next door neighbor recently, my mind jumped right over pizza to pizza kebabs. The only difference? The stick!


From the moment I suggested it to the moment they sat down to eat it, our kitchen was buzzing with excitement! They wanted to help mix the dough, play with the dough, roll the dough. They went crazy for the chance to make meatballs, and they were beside themselves with delight when I told them it was time to assemble the skewers. I don't know about you, but typically having "help" from kids in the kitchen isn't truly all that helpful. But in this case, it was! Every step of the way was totally kid-friendly, which meant less work for me and more fun for them!


And the best part? The fact that four kids (ages 2, 4, 6, & 9) ate the entire batch of kebabs! Which is basically like eating an entire pizza, something I had no idea they were capable of! Guess what made it into the dinner rotation? Definitely these guys!! And guess what we'll be doing more of these days and nights leading up to State Fair? Definitely food on sticks!! I'm telling you.....the folks at State Fair are really on to something....!


Pizza Kebabs
1 (6.5 oz) package pizza crust mix (I used Betty Crocker) or 1 batch pizza dough
1 (19.5 oz) package Jennie-O Italian Turkey Sausage
1 (8 oz) container fresh mozzarella balls
1 (14 oz) jar pizza sauce 
wooden skewers

1. Mix pizza dough according to package instructions. Divide into small pieces (18-20) and roll into balls. Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Remove casing from turkey sausage, divide into small pieces (18-20) and roll into balls. Cook in skillet until browned on one side; flip and continue cooking until meatballs are completely browned and cooked through.
3. Cut fresh mozzarella balls, if necessary (depending on size).
4. Heat pizza sauce in small saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
5. Assemble kebabs, dip in sauce, and enjoy!

So simple and fun!!


Enjoy!


Looking for more foods on a stick? Check out my Strawberry Shortcake Pops!




Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling....
I hope you feel right at home!
-Cathy

18 comments :

  1. THESE LOOK AWESOME!!!! My boys would devour these!! I am dying to try, what a great idea!

    ~Jen @ Yummy Healthy Easy

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! What a fun way to mix it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius Cathy! We love a good meal on a stick but we've never tried pizza so I will definetely be doing this over the Summer! Have I told you lately how many ideas I get from your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look SO good. I definitely need to consider moving closer to you - so I can help you sample some of your goodies. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to make these asap!! They look yummy and sound super easy!

    xox
    Bailey
    http://akabailey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Such a great idea for a party snack.
    Have a nice day,

    Maja

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy, what a fun and unique way to do pizza! I love it, definitely gonna try this soon! Pinning.

    Krista @ joyfulhealthyeats

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is such a fun idea... i bet my girls would love to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pinned! So making them on the weekend!
    I'd love to have you share this and/or any other recipe at Wednesday Extravaganza - A Foodie Link Party! Hope to see you there :)
    http://www.hungrylittlegirl.com/1/post/2013/06/wednesday-extravaganza-34.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! My boys would love love this, thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kids love finger foods, and so do I. I guess I'm still a kid at heart...

    ReplyDelete
  12. fun idea! Will have to try this for sure... Emily @ Nap-Time Creations

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun! My guys would love these for dinner! I am going to pin this post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Genius idea! I know my kids will love these because as you said...food on a stick is always better.
    Thanks for the idea.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cathy, I love these, perfect for a party or just to make meal time fun! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Treasures, I'm featuring you this week! Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea! This will be featured at this week's Manic Monday.

    Renea - cupcake-n-bake

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! I featured it here: http://www.housewifeeclectic.com/2013/07/maxi-skirts-and-pizza-kebabs-creative.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...