Image Map

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Bagels & Lox Breakfast Strata

This overnight Bagels & Lox Strata with Dill-Caper Hollandaise Sauce brings all the best of breakfast together on one plate!


The first time I had bagels & lox was when Jorden and I were dating and we went to visit his grandma in Detroit. His grandma is 91 years old, still lives on her own, still drives her own car, still swims at the Y, and still takes classes at the local university. She is feisty, opinionated, and sharp as a whip......and she doesn't take no for an answer. So whatever she fed me that weekend, I knew that my only option was to eat it....and to like it!



The good news is I'm pretty open to most foods....and I really do like most things. So I didn't even have to pretend to like the bagels and lox, the matzo ball soup, or the challah bread french toast (delicious!) Luckily, she didn't offer me borscht, brisket, or goulash.....those might not have gone over so well. (Maybe I'm not quite as open as I think I am!!)


Well, it's been a while since we've visited Grandma Roz....meaning it's been a while since we had our bagels & lox fix! So I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands....and I came up with this Bagels & Lox Breakfast Strata. I adapted a recipe that calls for English Muffins and cheddar cheese, and I added the Hollandaise Sauce (per Jorden's request) to make it that much more amazing. I'm not sure if Grandma Roz would approve...but I'm sure she would let me know one way or another (ha!) Maybe I will have to make it for her next time we see her......right after she makes me some challah bread French Toast!  :)



Bagels & Lox  Breakfast Strata
4 egg bagels
butter
10 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1 c. sour cream 
salt and pepper to taste
1 (8 oz.) brick cream cheese
1 (8 oz.) package lox
2 Tbsp. capers

1. Slice and butter bagels. Arrange in a single layer in a 9x13 inch baking pan. (Cut bagels as needed to fit.)
2. Whisk eggs, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper in a bowl until blended. Pour egg mixture over bagels.
3. Top with cream cheese (cut in 1-inch pieces) and lox (pieces will naturally break apart as you remove it from the packaging. Tear or cut additionally as desired.)
4. Sprinkle capers evenly over the top.
5. Chill, covered, for 8-10 hours. 
6. Bake at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until puffy.
(Recipe adapted from An Occasion To Gather)
    
Caper-Dill Hollandaise Sauce
1 c. butter
6 beaten egg yolks
2 Tbsp. water
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
Dash Salt
Dash pepper
1/2 tsp. dried dill
1 1/2 Tbsp. capers

1. Cut butter into thirds and bring it to room temperature.
2. In a small saucepan, combine egg yolks, water, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add a piece of the butter. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring rapidly with a whisk, until butter melts and sauce begins to thicken. 
3. Add the remaining butter, one piece at a time, stirring constantly until melted. Continue to cook and stir until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in dried dill and capers.
*If sauce is too thick or curdles, immediately whisk in 1-2 Tbsp. hot water.
5. Spoon desired amount over strata.
(Recipe adapted from Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book)
  


Enjoy!     
 

Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling...
I hope you feel right at home!
-Cathy     



12 comments :

  1. This looks amazing Cathy!! You know how much I love a good strata :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With your recipe is has to be a great way to start the day....Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lox and bagels...never thought they could be made into a strata but why not?
    The dill hollandaise sauce is a perfect topping for it, too.
    Thanks so much for sharing this on the Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop. :)

    Blessings,
    Sinea
    Ducks ‘n a Row

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious. I have never had bagels and lox and now I know what I have been missing. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my friends is just obsessed with bagels and lox! I am definitely going to make this next time he comes over for brunch! Thanks for sharing at Domestic Superhero today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had this before, but I will definitely put it on my short list of things to make (like this weekend!)
    Thanks again for sharing on Much Ado About Monday!

    Karla
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so scrumptious!!! Stopping by from Redfly Creations <3.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE bagels and lox and haven't had it in FOREVER. I am the only one in my family that will actually eat, so I just may have to reduce this recipe in half and make it all for myself. ;)

    Thank you for linking up at Marvelous Mondays this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks awesome for a breakfast {or even a light dinner!} Thank you for sharing at our All My Bloggy Friends Party !

    Linda
    With A Blast

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea for a breakfast casserole. It has everything I like in it. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this recipe! I just made it for a baby shower today & it got rave reviews! And it's super easy. Definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...