Image Map

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pretty Simple Garland


I never used to think much of Valentine's Day. I never used to decorate much for it or celebrate it much more than a romantic dinner out with Jorden. But now that's all changed. And not just because of blogging, but also because, as my kids get older, it's more and more fun to get ready for holidays! They are interested in how I decorate and how they can help me, how we celebrate and who we invite. They care about eating fun foods and having fun parties and, maybe most importantly, they love having something to look forward to.

Since Valentine's Day is all about LOVE, the kids can really get into it. And so I decided to get my Valentine's decorations up early this year. (I find that the decorations help us get in the spirit of the season...)


I started with my living room vignette and worked my way out to the mantel in the family room. Have I mentioned how much I love having a mantel?? I've decorated it for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and now Valentine's Day... Jorden says he can't even remember what our "normal" decorations look like! That's okay - they're not nearly as fun as all this holiday decor :)


I was inspired by the neutral colors in our new fireplace and wanted to incorporate simple, natural materials into the design. It took some time, but eventually I got it just right... except.... something was missing!


I've never made garland before, but I love the way it completes a look. So I rummaged through my art supplies and found these simple materials:


The paper didn't come pre-cut, but I just cut a wide triangle out of small pieces of cardstock and glued a small doily (Target $1 section) onto each one. I used the same red cardstock for the hearts.


I punched 2 holes at the top of each piece and strung them together with heavy twine.


They are the perfect finishing touch for the mantel!

Pretty.

Simple.

Pretty Simple.




Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling!
I hope you feel right at home :)
-Cathy



*Linking up to many wonderful sites this week, including:
 shabby creek cottage
           (Post link required)






50 comments :

  1. The garland looks so pretty, and the colors really match your decor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Oh man! I need some of those doilies for photo props!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I noticed those doilies in the dollar section but didn't pick any up because I wasn't sure what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am constantly passing up cute things because I don't know what to do with them...but it's always fun to see what other people do with them!

      Delete
  4. lovely and easy garlands! So simple and beautiful!
    Love
    Lauren

    currumichuti@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty! Simple! Just like you said! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Rita! Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  6. So sweet!!!Love this project! Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial!
    Have a fabulous day!

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your garland! I did some around the same time as you--I like how you strng yours up better. I think I'll do that next time! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how rustic this looks with the twine. It looks perfect on your mantle and gives a cozy, family feel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for linking up to Monday Funday :) Love the heart day garland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jamie! And thanks for the party! :)

      Delete
  10. So cute! I love your garland. You did a great job. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent!! I love seeing all of your awesome projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So simple but so sweet!! I also love all things Target $1 spot haha. Found you from Lady Behind the Curtain, would love for you to link up at my Pin It Thursday party http://www.sweetbellaroos.com/2013/01/17/pin-it-thursday-18/

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Cathy I'm over from The Shabby Chic Cottage from Transformation Thursday. I love the simplicity of your garland. It's easy, inexpensive and so very cute and perky. Think I have all the supplies already to make so will be getting onto it most likely tomorrow (maybe even start on it later tonight). Should clean the bathroom but might have to postpone that to make the garland. Shame on me. I love making garlands. If I can find where to subscribe I'll be a new admirer. Love what I see so far.
    I've been making Valentine decos but was waiting til I found the just right garland idea. Thanks for the inspiration. I don't have a mantel but do have a shutter shelf (idea off a blog also) hubs made for me late last year which I love decorating. To decorating and having fun doing it with what you have. I love shopping in my own stuff. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your nice comments. Cheers to using what you've got and having fun doing it! Hope to hear from you again, and I'll stop by to see you too :)

      Delete
  13. Very Cute! I'm stopping by from Dear Creatives Link Party. ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cathy! I'm your newest GFC follower ~ just found you through the Pin Me Link Party :)
    I love banners and thought yours was really cute so I stopped by to let you know..I also pinned it :)

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Paula! I really appreciate it! :)

      Delete
  15. This is a wonderfully cute project! visiting thru Life on Lakeshore Drive.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so cute and simple! I love those kinds of projects. :) Thanks for linking up to our Pinteresting Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love garland! Especially one that's super cute and easy to make. Love it! Thank you for sharing at our Pinteresting Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thanks for hosting the party! :)

      Delete
  18. So pretty. I love the colors you picked. I like simple pretty garlands like this!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for the feature, Danielle!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so cute! Love it! Thanks for linking up @ Inspiration Spotlight on DearCreatives.com Hope to see you again this week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so cute!! Hope you can link up at my Trendy Tuesday party!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Featuring YOU today!

    Ginger @ GingerSnapCrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2013/01/take-look-at-you-my-favorites_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute and simple- Love it! Following back :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like the shabby chic look of this banner...well done! Thanks for sharing at the Loving Valentine's Day Party!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...