Image Map

Friday, December 20, 2013

Turtle Thumbprint Macaroons

Coconut macaroons topped with Rolos, pecans, and salted caramel sauce. 
Almond Joy meets Turtle...and it's love at first bite!


Having three girls, I've always known that I need to be prepared for LOTS of drama. After all, I was one of three girls, myself....and if there's one thing I remember about growing up with sisters, it's drama!! (Thank goodness for our younger brother's influence, or who knows what would have become of us!) But what I'm NOT prepared for? How early all the drama has started!! And I'm not just talking about day to day family drama....I'm talking about real drama - school and friends and bus rides and mean looks and mean girls....I hear it all!



And every now and then, a new type of drama is added to the mix. Just recently, it was teacher drama! So not only did I hear all about who was mean at school that day....but I heard about who gets all the attention from the teacher...(and all the gold stars, too!) Now. I typically try to not say much when the girls are on a rampage. I listen....as much as I can stand it....and offer a few words of wisdom here and there. About friendship, and not taking things too personally, and treating others the way you would want to be treated....


....Because the truth is, as much as I don't like the drama....I understand it! I remember it! And it's hard stuff!! Especially the feeling that someone else is getting all the attention....which seems to just be part of life. In school, in work, and even in treats! Why is it, for instance, that when it comes to coconut.....almonds get all the attention?? What about peanuts? Cashews? Pecans? So, in solidarity with my dramatic little girls and their concerns about attention and fairness, I decided to make these delicious little Turtle Thumbprint Macaroons.... because, really, why should almonds have all the fun? Especially when it comes to sweet treats!


Turtle Thumbprint Macaroons
1 package coconut macaroon cookie dough (I used Immaculate Baking brand) OR 1 batch homemade dough (recipe HERE)
12 Rolo candies
12 whole pecans
caramel sauce 

1. Bake macaroons according to package or recipe instructions, but remove from oven 1-2 minutes early.
2. Top each cookie with 1 Rolo and 1 pecan; press down slightly.
3. Return to oven and bake an additional 1-2 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and press pecans further into cookies. Remove to wire rack to cool.
5. Top each cookie with a small drizzle of caramel sauce.

Enjoy!


Looking for more delicious coconut recipes?

http://www.lemontreedwelling.com/2013/11/almond-joy-biscotti.html

http://www.lemontreedwelling.com/2013/04/almond-joy-popcorn.html

http://www.lemontreedwelling.com/2013/09/pumpkin-pecan-spice-macaroons.html

http://www.lemontreedwelling.com/2013/06/banana-colada-smoothie.html

http://www.lemontreedwelling.com/2013/07/banana-split-dump-cake.html




Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling....
I hope you feel right at home!

11 comments :

  1. This looks like another winner for you, Cathy. YUM! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, this recipe definitely puts together the best of some of my favorite treats. What a terrific idea! I grew up in a family of four girls, no brothers, so drama was big in our home. Add to that being Italian...well, you can see why I, too, am not a fan of drama. But like you, I understand it! These cookies are shouting to me for sweet attention, but for once, I'm loving it...great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Macaroons = my favorite cookie! You've put such a wonderful spin on them -- there's much goodness in one bite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pinned these turtle thumbprints. I am going to make these one day!
    Blessings and have a wonderful Christmas!!
    Diane Roark
    www.recipesforourdailybread.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My very favorite treat and I love how yours take them one delicious step further! Sign me up for a dozen! And the drama of having a 5 and 9 year old is in full affect here too! Never a dull moment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The coconut macaroon cookie dough is such a great touch to these macaroons, so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the twist that you put on these tasty treats Cathy! They look incredible :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so good! I gotta make these!Pinned for later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm drooling just looking at these!! Might need to whip up a batch for Christmas :) especially since they're so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am drooling over this crab dip too! I love crab. Are you from the south? We made a similar dish in south Alabama when I was growing up.

    If you get a chance, stop by and link it up to Saturday Dishes.
    Blessings and have a wonderful day!
    Diane Roark
    www.recipesforourdailybread.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look to die for!! Thank you for linking to last weeks Whimsey Wednesday! I have featured you today in my Winter White Desserts post. You can see it here...
    http://www.ohmy-creative.com/kitchen/dessert/winter-white-desserts/

    Happy New Year!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...