Image Map

Friday, May 10, 2013

{DIY} Breakfast in Bed

A DIY chalkboard serving tray and twine-wrapped bud vase....everything you need 
for an extra-special breakfast in bed!


The longer I'm a mom, the more I realize that Mother's Day really is all about the simple things. A handmade card, an extra hug, a painted trivet, the flowers they picked from the yard. Since my two oldest kiddos are both in school now, it is fun to hear them talking about the "secret" presents they've been working on or their "secret" plans for me on Mother's Day. Truth be told, the only things I really want are the simple things....



....like some time to myself, some good coffee, something created by little hands, and some little hands to hold. Having my kiddos pretend for the day that I'm their favorite (even though we all know the truth) and having a chance during the day to do some of my favorite things.

Oh....and breakfast in bed wouldn't hurt, either.....!


Rather than just secretly hope for the things I really want, this year I decided to be proactive.....starting, of course, with breakfast in bed! I started by scoring a Keurig (so Jorden can finally make me coffee) and I even made some biscotti to go with it (although I'm pretty sure my family has already eaten it all!) Since we've never had a breakfast tray to speak of (an essential part of breakfast in bed) I decided to make one out of this letter basket I found on clearance at Target:


I know it's kinda cute as is....but I really wanted the kiddos to be able to write me a Mother's Day message! So I made the inside into a chalkboard using Painter's tape and Chalkboard Spray Paint. (Did you check out the price tag, by the way? Just $2.48 for a unique and very cool breakfast tray!)


And, since no breakfast in bed is complete without flowers, I went ahead and made a simple bud vase using a recycled syrup bottle and some green & white clothes line from the Dollar Store. I started at the top of the bottle and used a hot glue gun to help hold the clothes line in place. It was a simple project and took me under 10 minutes to complete...but I love the way it turned out!


All in all, I think this is turning out to be quite the perfect Mother's Day (at least the breakfast part!) Thanks to a few simple supplies and some advance planning, Jorden and the girls should have no trouble at all pulling it off. As for the rest of the day.....they're on their own for that! (and/or you can refer to my list above, Jorden!)  :)

Oh...and once Mother's Day is over...no worries! This tray is good all year round (just change the message!)



What about you? What do you have planned for Mother's Day?
I hope it is a great day....filled with the simple things....(and maybe breakfast in bed, too!)



Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling....
I hope you feel right at home!
-Cathy

19 comments :

  1. Oh yes, at the very least coffee in bed! love the tray & recycled bottle! Have a happy Mother's Day! Visiting from @ DearCreatives.com Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be greeted with this on Mother's Day...or anyday! Fingers crossed! Happy Mother's Day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tray and vase are very cute.
    I hope you had breakfast delivered to you this morning. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your tray, Cathy! Thanks for linking up to Marvelous Mondays at Call Me PMc ~Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fun tray! I completely agree with everything you said. It is so much fun watching my boys get excited over what fun things they have planned. I love watching them grow up :) And I must say I enjoyed the day being spoiled by my two boys. I even got to watch Les Mis all the way through, and my kids weren't interested in watching with me so I could enjoy it from start to finish un-interupted! It was fabulous :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute idea. Pinning! I love chalk board paint projects and this one will get used a lot at our house. Have a lovely week! Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty :) I wish someone would bring me breakfast in bed with this little tray and vase! Thanks for linking up to Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute! Thanks for sharing such great idea!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I love breakfast in bed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute, and I agree, the simple things are the best :)

    Thank you so much for sharing on Much Ado About Monday! Please come back next week for more fun!!

    Karla
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, love the idea of chalkboard paint on the inside of the tray! I have not seen that before. I'm thinking it would be cute for kids too, they can use chalk to draw while they wait for dinner or something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need breakfast in bed! My MOPS friends would love this. I think this would be a great fit for Family Fun Friday if you have time and want to link up. :-)
    Monica

    http://happyandblessedhome.com/category/family-fun/

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a cute idea! I will have to put this on my to do list :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love breakfast in bed every Sunday!! What a fun idea... You were featured at Super Saturday Show & Tell today! Stop by and grab a Featured Button http://www.whatscookingwithruthie.com Thank you so much for coming to linky party with me :) xoxo~ Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  15. How pretty! I love that this can be re-used for every day family celebrations. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend. I can't wait to see what you'll bring next week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute! Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a cute project! Thank you so much for sharing at last week's All My Bloggy Friends :) I can't wait to see what you share this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Featuring this post! If I make the tray do I get breakfast in bed? lol ;-) Monica
    Join us for Family Fun Friday. Share your posts with 100+ bloggers and 400+ readers.
    http://happyandblessedhome.com/category/family-fun/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...