Image Map

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Spiced Krispy Treats

The sweetness of Rice Krispie Treats with the spiciness of cayenne pepper - an unexpectedly delicious combo....and just in time for Cinco de Mayo!


I will never forget the time when I was pregnant with my first child and dealing with cravings/wanting to eat everything in sight. And I asked Jorden to go pick up a turtle sundae for me one night (because I HAD to have a turtle sundae)....and he looked at me and said, "Don't you think an apple would be a healthier option for both you and Baby?"


OMG. He did. Which really threw me off....and not just because I was pregnant and couldn't believe he would say no to me (but seriously.....can you believe he said no to me!??) It threw me off because we have always been the type to surprise one another with little treats - on birthdays, on anniversaries, or just because! For Jorden, it's always orange tic tacs, raspberry iced tea, McDonald's anything, Swedish Fish. For me, it's Starbucks, peanut M&M's, a bottle of wine, Twizzlers.....and, ahem, turtle sundaes....


Clearly I don't hold a grudge. And Jorden is lucky I don't! Because when I ran across Sweet & Spicy Caramel Corn the other day, I didn't think twice about buying it. I knew Jorden would love it! And he did....(what was left of it after I DEVOURED it, that is!)


So, as repayment for the treats I helped myself to a little too much of, I made Jorden these cayenne-spiced Rice Krispie Treats. With chocolate on top. Because I wasn't as concerned with what would be the healthiest option as I was with what would be the tastiest option. You're welcome, Jorden.


Spiced Krispy Treats
4 c. Rice Krispies
50 marshmallows
1/4 c. butter
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 c. milk chocolate chips

1. Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add marshmallows and stir over heat until melted.
2. Remove from heat; stir in cayenne pepper and Rice Krispies until thoroughly coated.
3. Press Rice Krispie mixture into buttered pan.
4. Melt chocolate chips and spread over bars. Sprinkle with additional cayenne pepper (optional).  


Enjoy! 


Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling....
I hope you feel right at home!

-Cathy

 

16 comments :

  1. I love 'a little bit of heat and 'a little bit of sweet! My hubby would be thrilled to eat these (too bad he has a weak stomach and I might not be able to share) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I would have never thought of this! May have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great combination of sweet and spice...perfect for Cinco de Mayo too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this looks so good! I'll have to try this. I love a little to a Rice Krispies treat!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a yummy looking treat. I like your twist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh this looks yummy.

    Please share your recipe at Pin It Monday Hop#7. See you there.
    Judy
    pursuitoffunctionalhome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound so tasty! I can't wait to try them! I hope he learned his lesson after denying you your sundae!! Thanks for sharing at Time to Sparkle : )

    xoxo Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM!

    I would love for you to share this and link up to my TGIF Link Party! Who knows, you just might be featured next week!

    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-peek-into-my-paradise-tgif-link-party.html

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heat and sweet- Love it!! Looking forward to trying it, wanted to stop by from The Blackberry Vine and say hello

    Mandy @ The Hankful House

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe he said no either! You have created a wonderful recipe! I bet the sweet and hot is great - it is one of my new favorites!

    Thank you for linking up to the In and Out of the Kitchen party! I look forward to seeing what you bring next week!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, these sound different, but I can't wait to try them!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, what a tasty idea! :) I just posted a spiced brownie cake recipe on my blog today. I really love the sound of this so I've pinned it to my pastry (& other desserts) board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look delicious! I would love it if you shared this with Show your Stuff:

    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2013/05/ham-potatoe-casserole-bake-show-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a good post. This post give truly quality information.I’m definitely going to look into it.Really very here.thank you so much.Keep up the good useful tips are provided works
    Restaurant bars in singapore

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...