Image Map

Thursday, May 16, 2013

{Nautical-Inspired} Bead & Twine Vases

Nautical-inspired twine wrapped vases....with a bright, fun twist!


Growing up as the third girl in a family of four kids, I always felt the need to stand out. To be different. Not in a rebellious way, but because I wanted (needed) to be my own person. Which led to a lifetime of decisions like french horn instead of flute, cello instead of violin, babysitting instead of corn detassling. And, later in life, choosing to be friends with the "alternative" crowd....which was funny, because when it came to being different, I stood out like a sore thumb in that crowd! But, hey, at least I stood apart from my sisters.......!



When it came to choosing a college, I nearly passed up a great scholarship just to avoid going to the same school as one of my sisters. And even though I'm the youngest of the girls, I have the oldest kids between us. Hmmmmm....how many decisions throughout my life were actually based on my desire to be different.....?


Case in point: these vases. I've had this roll of twine sitting around for a while now, and I love the look of twine-wrapped anything. But could I just make some lovely twine-wrapped vases? Nope. I had to go and add some beads and make them all funky and colorful. 

And you know what?? I love them!


Because the truth is I don't really make my decisions JUST to be different...they just sometimes turn out that way. I make them because they're right....for me. Being different is just a bonus.


Here's what you need to complete this project:
  • clear glass vases - any size/shape
  • wooden beads
  • thick twine
1. Start with a long piece of twine - enough to wrap around the vase several times
2. String beads onto twine - I used 6-8 beads per vase, leaving large spaces between beads
3. Start at the bottom of the vase and leave a short tail. Wrap the twine up the vase and back down, tying a knot at the end to secure the twine.



Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling....
I hope you feel right at home!
-Cathy

































20 comments :

  1. These are fabulous! Great for summer, and your photography is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these for a Summer picnic - very pretty and yes, they will stand out :) Great job my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful! I hope you will share it with my readers at my blog hop Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look cute for a summer party or picnic. You could even color coordinate the bead colors with the flowers you have. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun! I love the contrast of the beads and the twine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did something similar just this week, too. Its a fun idea. Like how you used colored beads on yours. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your vases! They are just a little different... and so fun and colorful. I love the one with the distinct neck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute are these!? Such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are super cute! LOVE the square one.
    I'm visiting you today from Mostly Homemade Mom. I co-host a Linky Party Tuesday (open thru Sat). I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog, link up and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so adorable and colorful! I love them. Thanks so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these so much. Have to PIN!!! Thanks for sharing those. SO CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this colorful twist on the typical twine wrapped vases! It is so fun to add pops of color in unexpected places and you did it so beautifully! Thank you for sharing at Much Ado About Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute and colorful! I love the added visual interest. Thanks so much for linking up at the Real Family Fun link party! Hope to see you next week.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! I need something for my Beach inspired bedroom and now I might have an idea, thank to you :-) Thank you for sharing at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party !

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so cute. They would look fantastic out on our deck. I'll be featuring them on Thursdays Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cool! I am loving the twine and beads wrapped vases.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun project, Cathy. I need to do this with my kids this summer. This post is being featured on my Tasty Thursdays party. Thanks for linking up!! Nichi http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2013/05/tasty-thursdays-43.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...