Image Map

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Simple Slipknot Napkin Rings

These simple slipknot napkin rings are made from a single piece of rope and add the perfect nautical touch to your summer napkins! Use them for your Memorial Day or 4th of July party and bring a touch of the sea to your table!


Truth be told, I'm probably just about the least nautical person I know. I've been on a boat maybe a dozen times in my life, and let's just say not all of those experiences have left me wanting more! I am thinking, in particular, of the time 3 or 4 summers ago when I took the ferry from Wisconsin to Michigan for a trip with Jorden's family. We had two kids at the time and I was looking forward to a fun boat ride with them....



...but as the trip got underway, it quickly became clear that the ride would be anything BUT fun! The movement of the boat made me feel seriously ill....to the point where I was laying down and hoping to fall asleep just to escape it! To the point where I was completely unable to take care of my kids. To the point where I made Jorden stop as soon as we got off the boat so that I could buy a pregnancy test....because I felt THAT sick. (I totally wasn't pregnant.)


And thank goodness! Because - let's be serious - family vacations are ALWAYS a good time for an extra glass of wine....and by the time we got off the boat, I already needed one! I think it's safe to say I will probably never ride on a ferry again, and if I can avoid being on any boat for an extended length of time I will. But. For some reason I am really digging nautical-inspired decor this summer. Starting with my Nautical-Inspired Bead & Twine Vases...and now these!


To make these rings I started with basic white nylon rope, cut into 12-inch pieces. I melted the ends of each piece by briefly holding a match near the ends to prevent fraying, and then tied a basic slipknot. I used this tutorial on YouTube to figure out how....and it took me all of 30 seconds to learn (it's that easy!) Here are my step-by-step photos:


And....voila! A simple slipknot napkin ring! What I love about these is that they're incredibly quick and easy to make - you can make a set in under 10 minutes - yet they make a great impact! They are definitely my new go-to summer napkin rings....because, nautical or not, I love me a great table setting! And let's face it - these nautical napkin rings are probably just about as close to the sea as I'll be getting....which is just fine with me!

Supplies:
*white nylon clothes line (12 inches each)
*matches 
*napkins



Looking for more seasonal napkin rings? Check out my Thanksgiving Napkin Rings







Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling....
I hope you feel right at home!
-Cathy

16 comments :

  1. These look very cute for summer entertaining. I'm not much of a boat person either. Maybe you inherited that gene. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable - I love that you come up with so many ideas that are creative and not too difficult! Happy weekend my friend - you girlies are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going on boats but not big ones like ferry's. I'd get sick on one also. My kind of boat is a fun one, can jump off of into a lake or ski behind.
    Your napkin rings are wonderful, they look incredible. Your kids are adorable. I'm going to make some napkins with a drop cloth and initial them, will sure save on paper towels. I saw some on a blog last night, "Cottage in the Oaks" that will be perfect. Maybe make some out of patterned duck cloth. Paper towels/paper napkins have spoiled us for using cloth napkins, what a shame as cloth napkins are so much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. visiting from Monday Funday party- what a great idea! definitely a big fan of nautical and this is a great touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great and perfect for the beach/nautical inspired! I hope you will share this on my blog this week. The challenge is "Life at the Beach" challenge. Anything beach inspired or nautical.
    Come on over! Link up begins Wednesday night!!!
    www.thecsiproject.com
    Sandy toes and salty kisses XOXO
    Dee, The CSI Girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these napkin rings! So funny about the boat. My hubby and I went on a cruise for our Honeymoon 14 years ago and had to take seasickness medicine even on that big thing. :) Love the picture of you and your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute idea! Love all of the red, white, and blue too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simple but very cute!I love a nautical theme! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday linky party and share this post with us. http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/06/centerpiece-wednesday-and-wrap-up.html
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for a simple inexpensive napkin ring! Jute rope would work great too. Thanks for sharing :)
    - Lora

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute and affordable! Great idea! Saw you on My Turn (for us) party. I posted something as well. I'd love for you to hop on over to my site if you have time.
    Blessings,
    ~Gina
    http://ginascraftcorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forgot to say, I'm a new follower!
    ~Gina

    ReplyDelete
  12. So simple yet so cute! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
    Two Girls and a Party
    Live every Wednesday to Sunday. Hosted by:
    Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life
    Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    We hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE! So simple and looks perfect for Summer! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great and easy idea, Cathy. Thanks for linking up to last weeks party. Can't wait to see what you link up this week!! Nichi http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2013/06/tasty-thursdays-45.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Impressive web site, Distinguished feedback that I can tackle. Im moving forward and may apply to my current job as a pet sitter, which is very enjoyable, but I need to additional expand. Regards. tissue paper machine

    ReplyDelete
  16. very nice post, i definitely love this amazing site, persist in it Moissanite Rings for Engagement

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...